Monday, May 21, 2012

Hasbro's Battleship


Well Ladies and Gentlemen,



I bring another special blog from Real to Reel. This particular blog will be somewhat sentimental to me because it will be my last blog post under the Entertainment Business Master’s of Science program with Full Sail University (Class of 2012!!!). I have achieved my goal of completing a Post Graduate program in my desired field of Entertainment. In this post, I will discuss a few current issues with the film industry that has caught my attention.


I recently viewed Hasbro’s Battleship film this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Being prior military, I naturally scanned the movie for flaws in continuity and poor portrayals of naval personnel, which I didn’t find. What I did find was a well-written script and overall well produced film based upon a popular board game. I actually forgot the film was centered on the board game until the closing scenes of the movie. This film was definitely one worth the price of admission.

I give Hasbro’s Battleship 4.75 stars out of 5 for great story development and effects. They did such a good job with Transformers and continued the successful method with this film.

I am noticing the latest films that have been released have been adaptations of various muses. We have seen our favorite superheroes and childhood fairytales come to the silver screen in more than one adaptation in recent years. There have also been film adaptations of popular video games and now we can add popular board games to that list, which I thought would stop with Dungeons and Dragons. Don’t even try to count the number of book turned film adaptations that we have witnessed in the past 18 months.

Honestly, I am not complaining about this method because I have been enjoying its results. What I am referencing the fact that we (the audience) need more originality because we are becoming accustomed to remakes. For example, how many of us have seen Spiderman, Batman, and Snow White unaccountable amounts? Yet we cannot wait for the new version (film) to premiere because of the new twist that Hollywood has put on the film. Being the film fanatic that I am, I simply feel that Tinsel town needs to hear my voice, as well as others, and know that we crave originality and for them to actually execute.

Thank you all for taking this journey through Full Sail University with me and faithfully reading my blog post. Although I have finished my program, I will continue to post on this blog weekly.

This is KB and this has been Real to Reel.


No comments:

Post a Comment