Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lack of Creativity in Today's Film Industry

I have been feeling a certain disappointment from the newly released films to the public for the past year(s). It seems as though there have been so many remade movies, themes, plots, etc. in today's film industry that it leaves one to wonder if the Industry has finally came to it's end of originality. I have recently watched films (now) that have been remade from when I was a child. My children are watching the remakes (movies) in awe and excitement from joy it brings them. All the while, I am sitting there looking at the movie as if it is the worse thing I ever seen on a movie screen.

I search the internet (various blog sites, twitter, Diigo groups, etc,) to see if there were other people sharing my disappointments as well. I came across a website that goes by the name http://TrulyFilmFree.HopeForFilm.com in association with www.HuffingtonPost.com in which the writer (unknown) posted his/her views about 38 Reasons for why the Film Industry is failing. The various and in-depth reasons for why the film industry range from ticket prices and sales to the ethnic background from today's film industry insiders and headliners. As I read the article, which was very informative, it gave me more insight on the industry and opened my eyes to why the Film Industry has transformed from an industry of creation and artistry to an industry of revenue creation. This article is a must read and the writer feels that he/she is able to add an additional 38 reasons.

I also found another (very opinionated) site http://shockncult.wordpress.com that focused more on the themes of films and epics that have been released as of lately. It goes on to talk about about how these film/epics are being overused to the point is has become pathetic and a waste of time. Certain themes, actors/actresses, plots, etc. can only be used but so many times before we grow tired of it and lose interest. "Hollywood is so afraid of messing up that it will not take a chance anymore.  Even the indie scene is becoming that way and it is killing film."

I have pros and cons about both articles but I will say that I agree on the overall point of view that both articles that the film industry is currently failing with not just the movies but also with it's overall decision-making. We need more innovative creations within the Film Industry as well as trend-setters to ensure those creations take place. I believe that once the problems are noticed and the solutions are set that we will see a great change within our ever-changing (non-changing) and beloved Film Industry.

KB 




No comments:

Post a Comment